Lord Alford's MEGA EXTRA CREDIT Unit:
Step 1 - Get a copy of The Call of the Wild.
It is a good book and extremely short. I have copies available for check
Step 2 - Read the book. Below is a break down of the
first four chapters and a character handout to help you understand it.
You can also go to: Spark
Notes for extra help.
Step 3 - Choose any or all of the following to count
for extra credit:
- For a Double 100 Quiz Grade, write the following on a sheet of paper:
I (print your name) give my word of honor that I read all seven
chapters of The Call of the Wild.
Then sign this paper and then get a parent/guardian to sign it backing
up that you are telling the truth.
- For a Double Test Grade - Take a small multiple choice test on the
book. When you are ready to take it, just let me know. I would practice
by studying this practice test: Spark
Notes Practice Quiz
- For a Double Classwork Grade - Write up review questions for any of
the chapters that I don't already have review questions for (Chapters
4, 5, 6, 7). You will need to say who the owner of Buck is during that
chapter and then provide 7 questions with answers. You may do
this for all four chapters and get a double classwork grade for each
(that would count as eight grades - a big boost). The questions must
be good to count.
- For a single classwork grade - find four good Call of the Wild
images that I might want to use on this site. You can look this
site over and see what kind of pictures I might want to use. If the
image comes from a particular chapter, I would like the chapter number.
- For a single classwork grade, pick one of the two chapters that have
questions and answer them. You may do this for both and get a grade
for both. If the grade hurts your average, I will not count it against
- For a single test grade - create a poster for this book that might
would interest another student to want to read it. If it is really good,
I will hang it up for years to come to try to interest others into reading
this book and will give you DOUBLE grade.
By my count that is a total of a possible 11 classwork grades, 2 quiz
grades, and 3 test grades.
When is all this due? By the end of the year. Preferably by the end of
the third nine weeks.
Here is the dog/character handout we got in class (click):
You can use this chart to keep up with the characters.
Some key facts to keep up with:
Chapter 1 - Into the Primitive
Owner: Judge Miller
Here are some questions asked during one ouf our earlier readings in
this chapter (all questions will be found in order):
- Who stole Buck?
- What do you think "Frisco" means?
- What thing does the man use to train/break Buck?
- Buck doesn't respect the man, but fears the ____.
- The guy who talks funny and buys Buck. What is his name?
- Tell something about Curly and Dave.
- What is The Narwhal?
Chapter 2 - The Law of Club and Fang
Owner: François and Perrault
Chapter 3 - The Dominant Primordial Beast
Owner: François and Perrault
has two themes. The first is how Buck is changing (a dynamic character).
He is adapting to his new life and you get the idea that he will never
be able to go back to the old lifestyle, even if he could. The other is
that Buck and Spitz will have it out. As the chapter progresses, Buck
and Spitz fight more and more and it keeps saying that they will have
to fight to the finish. François and Perrault are talking together
(not that you can understand their dialect) and each makes one of these
Spitz will kill Buck
Buck will kill Spitz
We can assume from the way it is written that it will indeed come down
to one of these two.
Here are the questions that we answered in class:
Starting on page 47 in our book or where it says, “Seven days
from the time…”
1. What has destroyed the team’s solidarity (their oneness)?
2. What did the dogs start chasing?
3. Which dog kills it?
4. Which is the more experienced and better fighter?
5. What are the other dogs waiting to do once there is a loser?
6. Who wins?
7. Whatever version you are reading, write an MLA for it. You may use
your MLA Bliss sheet as a reference.
Chapter 4 - Who Has Won to Mastership
Chapter 5 - The Toil of Trace and Trail
Chapter 6 - For the Love of a Man
Chapter 7 - The Sounding of the Call
Fast Fact - When
Jack London wrote this novel, he was strapped for cash. The publisher
offered him $200 for all the rights and he took it. The book became one
of his most famous books and he never got another penny for it.
Call of the Wild Lego Style
Call of the Wild in anime (click the picture
for more info)